Writing by Riiki Reid
Aotearoa singer, RIIKI REID, shares her top five list of what to do in Wellington.
1) EAT EAT EAT. I am from the capital city of New Zealand, Wellington and you’d be a fool to not try some of the best foodie hotspots in town.
My hands down favourite restaurant is Dragon Fly on Courtney Place.
My favourite coffee/tea spot is Swimsuit on Dixon Street.
If you’re in Welly, your lunch go to spot is Yoshi for the best Ramen in town.
If you’re after a lil drinky drink, Ascot or Lola Stays is my fave!
2) GO TO GIGS. I feel so lucky to have grown up in a city that embraces such an array of music and cultures/diversity. In the city it feels like there are gigs on nearly every night, and nearly every gig you go to has a packed room.
There’s lots of underground shows on, lots of jazz, and a lottttt of dance (house and techno, which are my fav).
My favourite spots to go to for live music is Club 121, Meow and San Fran. All my friends and I love these places and they all have such special memories.
3) GET INTO NATURE. NZ nature is unreal and out of this world. Arguably the best in the world (sorry Australia). I will never get sick of visiting the beaches (even though they are quite small) and going for big scenic walks. Check out Breaker Bay for the prettiest beach and if you want to refresh and re-vitalise, do the walk around Makara or Red Rocks.
4) ORIENTAL BAY. A statement piece of Wellington is Oriental Bay. It is beautiful, and on a good day, you just can’t beat it.
5) CUBA STREET. This street is where I spend a lotttttt of my time. It has the cutest opshops/pre-loved goods, good food and good vibes. There is always something entertaining going on there.
Listen RIIKI REID’s EP HERE.